Emergency welfare support

We can provide support for Herefordshire residents in an emergency. This is called the local welfare provision scheme. We give each application careful consideration, which will include looking at other sources of help and support which may be available to you.

If you are eligible for help, we will offer assistance in one of the following ways:

  • Providing quality, second-hand goods, wherever possible via direct referrals to suppliers
  • Provision of food or vouchers
  • Referrals to support organisations

Please note: we are not able to provide cash or loans.

If we identify that you are not claiming all the benefits you are entitled to, we will help you with your claim. You may also be directed to apply for a budgeting loan or advance. This may be instead of claiming support under this scheme.

With your permission we can also assess your support needs. This support, for example, could include:

  • Access to help dealing with money worries and debt
  • Referrals to specialist advocacy services and prevention services

There are two types of assistance:

  • Exceptional circumstances award (ECA)
  • Community care award (CCA)