Emergency welfare support
If you are a Herefordshire resident needing emergency support you may be eligible for help through our local welfare provision scheme.
Or, if you are struggling to pay for food or energy bills you can apply through our local welfare provision (household support fund) scheme.
As the rules for each scheme are different we realise that people may be confused about which one to apply for, so we've made it easier - only one application is required.
Our Talk Community customer services team will decide the best fund to help you based on the information you provide with your application.
Local welfare provision
This scheme is intended to meet crucial needs of a person or household who have an unexpected crisis, or urgent need that is noticeably different from the usual pressures related to managing on a low income. We give each application careful consideration, which will include looking at other sources of help and support which may be available.
If you are eligible, we will offer help in one of the following ways:
- Providing quality, second-hand goods, wherever possible via direct referrals to suppliers
- Provision of food or vouchers (we are not able to provide cash or loans)
- Referrals to support organisations
If we identify that you are not claiming all the benefits you are entitled to, we will help you with your claim. You may also be directed to apply to the Department for Work and Pensions for a budgeting loan or advance. This may be instead of claiming support under this scheme.
With your permission we can also assess your support needs. This support, for example, could include:
- Access to help dealing with money worries and debt
- Referrals to other organisations that provide specialist advocacy and prevention services
Local welfare provision (household support fund)
This scheme aims to support Herefordshire residents who need our help the most during the cost of living crisis, including people who have not been eligible for the other types of support the government has made available.
The funding is part of the government's response to support vulnerable households most affected by increases in the cost of living. It will be used to provide emergency support towards day to day living such as food, and energy bills for a limited time.
You can apply if you a:
- A Herefordshire resident over 16 years old, or a member of the armed forces who can demonstrate a strong connection to Herefordshire and,
- A person or household experiencing financial hardship and can demonstrate the need for emergency support with essential living costs that cannot be met by other sources.