Emergency welfare support

We can provide support for Herefordshire residents in an emergency. This is called the local welfare provision scheme. We give each application careful consideration, which will include looking at alternative sources of help and support which may be available to you. If you are eligible for help, we will offer assistance in one of the following ways:

  • Providing quality, second-hand goods, wherever possible via direct referrals to suppliers, within 10 days
  • Provision of food or vouchers, within 24 hours, depending on circumstances

Please note: we do not pay cash. Help will be provided in the form of goods, services or vouchers.

If we identify that you are not claiming all the benefits you are entitled to, we will help you with your claim. This may be instead of claiming support under this scheme.

With your permission we can also assess your support needs. This support, for example, could include:

  • Access to help dealing with money worries and debt
  • Referrals to specialist advocacy services and prevention services

There are two types of assistance:

  • Exceptional circumstances award (ECA)
  • Community care award (CCA)

Short-term advances and budgeting loans

If you are waiting for Department for Work and Pensions benefits to be paid, or waiting for an increase in payments following a change in circumstances, Short Term Advances may help by providing an advance payment from the Department for Work and Pensions. This would then be repaid by deductions from the benefit award. You can apply for Budgeting Loans from the DWP.