Who is eligible for emergency welfare support?

  • You can apply if you are over 16, have lived in Herefordshire for at least 6 months, or have a strong connection to Herefordshire if you are homeless, or if you have moved to Herefordshire after leaving custody or a care home
  • You are not subject to immigration control, and have no savings or other means of accessing support, and
  • You are in receipt of, or likely to be entitled to benefits because you have a low income. This would usually mean that you are getting:
    • Income Support
    • Income based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
    • Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    • Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit only)
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Universal Credit

Or you can demonstrate that you do not have the immediate resources to meet the basic needs of yourself and/or your dependants.

We are not usually able to help if:

  • You have received assistance from the scheme in the last 6 months or have been turned down for assistance from the scheme for the same need in the last 6 months
  • The need could be met through eligibility to any of the following schemes:
    • DWP Short Term Benefit Advance (while awaiting first or increased DWP payment)
    • DWP statutory social fund payments (for example, Winter Fuel Allowance, Sure Start Maternity grants, or Funeral Payments)
    • Requirements under Fair Access to Care services (FACS), for example, our statutory duty to provide medical or disability equipment
    • Grants can be accessed from another source

We are not able to help with housing costs such as rent payments, rent in advance, removal costs or assist with flooring for your property.