What to do if you are homeless

If you are homeless or think you are going to be, we can provide much needed support at what is a frightening and traumatic time.

We can help you know your housing rights and provide advice on any welfare support you can get, including housing benefits. We can also negotiate with your landlord to try and find a way forward. If you are under 18 and homeless, please call our Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) team on 01432 260800 and ask to speak to the duty social worker. Please tell us if you are a care leaver.

Contact us

If you have a housing problem, call us on 01432 261600 during the working hours of 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday or email us at housing.enquiry@herefordshire.gov.uk

You can also drop-in without appointment at the Customer Service Centre, Blueschool House, Blueschool Street, Hereford HR1 2LX on Monday to Friday between 10am and 4pm.

Homeless emergency out-of-hours

If you are homeless in an emergency and your call is outside of these hours, call us on 01432 261600.

How we can help

If you are not homeless at the moment or likely to become homeless within the next 28 days, we will give you advice on how to prevent becoming homeless. If you are homeless as a result of not being a good tenant, we can probably only provide you with temporary accommodation for a short period. We may not be able to help if you are intentionally homeless (when you could reasonably have stayed living where you were but chose not to), however, if you believed you had a valid reason for leaving and did so in good faith, then we may be able to offer you more help.

We will assess your case and assign someone specific to advise you, based on your priority need. We can provide further practical help if you are eligible, but not if you aren't entitled to welfare benefits. We will consider if you are legally entitled to live somewhere else, or if there is a strong reason why you can't reasonably keep living where you are. The risk of violence, domestic and otherwise, is one reason why this might not be possible. If your home is a caravan, houseboat or some other mobile form of housing, we would also look to find another location where you would be entitled to move to.

If you have a housing need you can register with Home Point which will enable you to bid for available housing association properties. As an alternative, we may offer you private rented accommodation we think is suitable and affordable. We always try to offer accommodation in an area of your choice, or as close as possible, though this isn't always possible. We may find you temporary accommodation - somewhere you can stay in the short-term while you look for somewhere more permanent to live, or while we decide how best we can help you. Temporary accommodation could be anywhere in the county and could even be elsewhere if nothing is available locally.

We always try to help everyone in the best way possible, but if you are unhappy at any decision we have made about your application or the housing you have been offered, you can have our decision reviewed. You must ask for this to happen within 21 days of being told our decision. You can ask the Citizen's Advice Bureau to help you do this.