Highways and new development
The highways development control team:
- Give advice as a consultee on planning applications to planning development control
- Ensure that roads are constructed to suitable standards so as to be adopted
- Secure improvements to the highway associated with new development
- Input into Planning Obligations in respect of highways and sustainable transport
Any pre-application advice should be sought through the council's planning department. Find more advice on our pre-application planning advice page.
Design guide and specification
Herefordshire Council's design guide and specification for new developments are published to aid developers, designers and other professionals in preparing transport infrastructure in relation to new developments.
In addition to the council's publications, users are advised to consult the national guidance document 'Manual for streets', which has superseded parts of our publications.
Section 38 and 278 process guidance
Section 38 Agreements are the legal mechanism by which developer built roads are adopted as public highways by the Highway Authority.
Section 278 Agreements are the legal mechanism by which developers can be authorised to amend and alter the existing public highway to facilitate a development.
For any enquiries relating to the above, please contact the Senior Engineer Highways Adoptions on 01432 261729.
You can do your own search for highways and PROW information using the following resources:
- Our interactive map of Herefordshire which shows public roads and public rights of way.
- A public computer is available at The Hereford Centre at Blueschool House, Hereford which you can use to search highways information
Sustainable drainage systems (SuDS)
The highways development control team advise on the adoption requirements of SuDS features such as balancing ponds and soakaways.
All SuDS features should be designed in accordance with the Ciria SuDS Manual.
Section 184 Vehicle Crossing Licences (dropped kerbs)
Our service provider deals with applications for:
- New vehicle crossings
- Alterations to existing vehicular crossings to private properties