Older person's bus pass
Herefordshire Council offers some residents free travel on local bus services. Free bus travel with these passes is available between 9.30am and 11pm on Monday to Friday, and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays. You can travel:
- Across Herefordshire and the rest of England
- Between Herefordshire and places in Wales, provided that each bus journey starts or finishes in Herefordshire
- Between Presteigne and Knighton in Powys
Free bus travel is linked to the state pension age. You can get a bus pass for free travel when you reach the female state pension age (whether you're a man or a woman). This will change in the coming years to reflect the gradual change in pensionable age. You can check whether you are eligible for a free bus pass on GOV.UK.
You can apply up to 60 days before you become eligible although the pass will only be sent to you shortly before this date.
Applying online is the quickest way of applying for a new bus pass. Simply:
- Complete some personal details so we can confirm your identity
- Add a digital photograph or take one with your webcam (check the government guidelines on photos)
- Add your preferred method of contact
- Verify and submit your application
If you have lived at your current address for less than three years, you may also be asked to send us proof of your address. You will be advised of this during the application.
If you are unable to apply online, our customer service centre in Hereford offers help on certain days. For further information see the supporting documents page.