We use cookies

Web upgrade

An upgrade is taking place on Thursday 13 Aug between 9am and 12pm. Unfortunately during this time our online forms will be unavailable. We are sorry if this causes a problem. Please retry after 12pm

Support and advice with managing direct payments

If you have been offered a personal budget by Herefordshire Council and are considering taking a direct payment to manage the budget there are several sources of support and help available to you:

Support with finding out about and setting up direct payments

The council's direct payment officers can provide you with some help and support free of charge, such as:

  • Advice about the costs of services and day activities available to you
  • Advice on payment card accounts or setting up direct payment bank account
  • Paying your personal contributions or personal top-up into your direct payment account
  • Information about using the council's approved direct payment support providers and what they can offer you
  • Help you to find information, support and advice about being an employer.
  • Help you with information about using a care agency
  • Helping you understand the requirements of the financial accounting of your direct payment.

If you change your mind

If you decide direct payments are not working for you, we can also:

  • Advise on closing a direct payment account, including assisting your family or an authorised person to pay all outstanding liabilities
  • Help you or an authorised person find information on employment law and redundancy
  • Advise and support you completing final accounts to close the direct payment account

Managing your direct payments

There are a number of organisations in Herefordshire that can provide help and information, support and advice about employment law when using direct payments.

This includes help with all the legal aspects of employing a personal assistant such as information, support and advice about employing and recruiting staff and advice and support around self-employment and duties of being an employer.

View the council's approved providers for direct payments support

You are responsible for acting legally as an employer. You do not have to use a council-approved provider but it is recommended so that you have access to the advice and support needed to act legally. 

Contact a direct payment officer

Other help

  • National Customer Services Centre: Care Quality Commission
    Telephone: 03000 616161
  • Herefordshire Council, self-directed support officer and safeguarding lead Telephone:01432 260000
  • HM Revenue and Customs Telephone: 08457 143143
  • New Employers Helpline Telephone: 0845 6070143
  • Home Office Helpline Telephone: 0845 010 6677