Young people often need support with becoming independent. Especially those people who have lived in care or have been homeless. Supported lodgings provide a safe place for them to become confident and learn about living as an adult. If you have a real interest in helping young people then we would love to hear from you. Get in touch and give a young person the start in life they deserve.
What are supported lodgings?
Supported lodgings help young people learn the life skills that move them into being an adult, including:
- Assisting with practical home skills
- Confidence building, citizenship and interpersonal skills
- Obtaining further education, apprenticeships or work experience
- Hobbies and leisure activities
- Advocating on behalf of a young person
- Supporting a young person to manage their own health
- Budgeting - in preparation for independent living
Just like fostering, we welcome applications from the whole community. Your sexuality, marital status or culture will not affect your application at all.
You could be a supported lodgings provider if:
- You are over 21 (there is no upper age limit)
- You have some experience of children and/or young people
- You are single, married or living with a partner of either gender
- You have a healthy lifestyle
- You can still do it if you do or don't have children of your own, your life experiences and skills are important
- You can continue to work at the same time
- You need a spare room (you don't need to own your home)
- Make a change to young person and yourself
Inspiring young people and helping them become adults is a highly rewarding challenge. It's also one we would not expect you to do alone or for free.
- A reliable and competitive fee plus other benefits
- An excellent programme of local workshops, training and fantastic career development
- Your own social worker
- Monthly local support groups
- 24 hour support
- Membership to the Fostering Network and a 'Buddy' scheme linking you to local experienced carers
- And so much more