Relief and exemptions
Some properties are eligible for reductions on their business rates. This is called 'business rates relief'. You can find more information on the Government business rates relief pages.
The reliefs available for occupied properties are:
- Small business rate relief (including support for small businesses following revaluation)
- Hardship relief
- Rural rate relief
- Charitable rate relief
- Relief for pubs
- Discretionary business rates relief revaluation scheme
If your business premises have been empty for more than three months, full business rates are payable. Industrial and warehouse properties may remain empty for six months before rates are payable. We do not have the authority to stop the rates charge while a property is empty. If your property is undergoing substantial renovation works or is in a state of disrepair and you feel that it should be removed from the rating list, contact the Valuation Office Agency on 03000 501501.
We may exempt unoccupied properties from business rates if:
- The owner of the property is prohibited by law from occupying the property
- The property is a listed building
- The rateable value is less than £2,600
- The owner is in administration or liquidation
You can find information on business rates for pubs and licensed trade, self-catering holiday accommodation and holiday lets on the Government's business rates page.