Apply for a secondary school place

If you live in Herefordshire and your child is due to transfer from primary Year 6 and start secondary school in Year 7 in September 2020 then you must apply for their school place between 2 September and 31 October 2019.

How to apply

The Pupil Admissions Officer sends parents/carers of year 6 pupils a letter with information on how and where to apply, via the child’s current primary school in Herefordshire. You will receive this letter in the first week of the new academic year when your child starts Year 6.

Please read the information, which is also available in the secondary school admissions guidance documents, before making an application 

You can still apply through an online application portal and your application will be processed in accordance with the LA's late application policy.

Apply online for a secondary school place for September 2020

Parents and carers who are unable to apply online can request a paper application form from the secondary transfer admissions officer on 01432 260925 or email or 

It is your responsibility to ensure that your paper application form reaches the council. We recommend you return your completed application via recorded delivery or hand deliver it to:

  • Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford, Herefordshire HR4 0LE

We also advise contacting the school admissions team directly on 01432 260925 to ensure your application form has been received.

When we will notify you

You will be notified of the outcome on the national offer date 2 March 2020.

  • If you applied online you will receive an automatic email
  • If you applied on a paper copy you will receive a letter in the post

Our Secondary offers document 2020 sets out what you need to do once you receive your offer.

Contact us

If you need help with making an application or have any questions about the phase transfer admissions please contact:

  • Telephone: Dawn Skyrme 01432 260925
  • Email: 
  • Address: School Admissions, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane Offices, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE 

Parents of children resident outside Herefordshire

If you are not resident in Herefordshire then you should obtain admission details from your home Local Authority (LA), even if your preferences include schools within Herefordshire. (The 'home' LA is defined as the Local Authority relevant to the child's home address - to whom you pay your council tax).

If you wish to apply for a place at any Herefordshire school, you must complete an application provided by your 'home' LA. The 'home' LA will ensure that the application details are passed onto Herefordshire LA for consideration in the allocation of school places.