Primary admission guidance
Starting school is one of the most important events in any child's life.
At this time, parents are naturally concerned and want to do the best for their child, but many feel uncertain about what to do. Our aim is to make it as easy as possible for parents to understand the procedures involved. Most parents prefer their children to go to the local school and a place can nearly always be found for them without difficulty. Sometimes, however, parents prefer a school outside their own area but may find that all the places have to be allocated to local children. Inevitably therefore, some parents have to be disappointed. Our admissions booklet contains all the information parents need to understand the arrangements for the admission of children to Herefordshire primary schools.
It explains the rules and procedures the council has to follow to ensure that the system works as fairly as possible. It is particularly important when more parents apply for a particular school than there are places available.
In the admissions booklet, you will find information about:
- How admission arrangements work, the admissions timetable for the 2019/20 school year and the available options
- Details of all maintained schools in the county, including the number of children that can be admitted to each primary school in the 2019/20 school year
- Information about Church of England, Roman Catholic, foundation and academy schools and what you have to do to apply to them
Staff in the council's children's well-being directorate offer a friendly and efficient service to parents and also provide an additional important notes leaflet to highlight the points parents need to bear in mind when applying for a primary school place.
If you need any further assistance, please contact Herefordshire Council's school admissions team at email@example.com or contact the following members of the primary admissions team:
- Emma Turner, Admissions officer - reception intake - Hereford (01432) 260926
- Lisa Hince, Admissions officer - reception intake - Hereford (01432) 261574
Before you apply
Please download and read the following documents before making an application for a primary school place:
- Information for parents - admission to primary school 2019/20
- Important notes when applying for a reception class place 2019/20
Exceptional medical, social or compassionate grounds
A request for a place on these grounds must be supported by a medical certificate or other appropriate information. This should name the preferred school and set out the reasons why this school is the only school suitable that can meet your child’s needs and the difficulties likely to occur if your child has to attend another school. If you do not submit documentation your application will not be considered under the priority 4 criteria. Applications on such grounds will be considered by an appointed advisory panel
If you wish to apply under priority 4 and the school you’re applying for is a voluntary aided, foundation or academy school or in another local authority, you’ll need to check if this criteria is included in the admissions criteria for that particular school.
You can also find more information on the following national sites: