Apply for a primary school place mid-year

An 'In Year Transfer' application is the process which a parent or legal guardian must complete to secure a school place other than at the normal point of admission. In Year Transfers are most common for families who move house to a new area or can no longer easily access their current school.

Which school should I apply for?

You may apply to any school, although it is common for parents to apply to a nearby school or the catchment school because this is where children from the local community most commonly attend.

There are advantages in arranging to visit a school you may be interested in:

  • You will be able to meet with staff and often pupils as well
  • You may be able to have a tour of the school
  • It will allow you to make comparisons between schools where you are considering several schools
  • Because many schools act as their own Admission Authorities it can also 'fast-track' your application and prevent any delay in securing a place once you have moved

You can find the nearest primary school to a chosen location using Find my nearest catchment school.

The Schools directory allows you to search for information about each of the publicly funded primary and special schools in Herefordshire.

You can find:

  • School contact details
  • OFSTED information
  • Physical accessibility ratings
  • Website details for the school

The In Year Transfer application form

Please read the guidance notes attached to the form. Submit your completed form direct to your preferred school.

The back page of the application has a section for your current school to complete. This applies to state-funded schools only, and not private schools or non-UK schools. The information provided on the form will help the school to prepare for your child's admission should a place be offered.

Download application form for in year transfer

Children with a Statement of SEN or an EHC Plan commonly require additional support at school. Schools will require support from the Local Authority's SEND team to accommodate any additional needs that a child may have.

Applications for Looked After Children (LAC) should be made by the child's social worker.

What happens once I submit my application?

The success of your application will largely be determined by the ability of the school to accommodate an additional child in the appropriate year group. You will be notified of the decision in writing. If refused a place you will be informed of your right to appeal this decision. The School Admissions office can provide you with guidance on the appeals process, and can offer advice about alternative schools that may be able to accommodate you.

Please contact us on:

Why might my application be refused?

School Admissions are governed by the School Admissions Code, which specifies when it is appropriate to offer or refuse a place at a maintained school. Schools have a maximum capacity or PAN (Published Admission Number).

Commonly this is multiple of 30 depending on how many classes the school has in each year group. The main reason for this is that the Admissions Code states that no more than 30 children can be accommodated in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2 class per qualified class teacher. Where a school has reached their prescribed limit you may meet with a refusal. In rural areas schools can have a PAN of less than 30. In these instances it is important to understand that the school's classes are often made up of two or more year groups, so for instance a school with a PAN of 10 may organise their classes so that Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are accommodated in the same class.

In Year Fair Access

All Local Authorities are required to have an In Year Fair Access Protocol. The protocol is designed to ensure that no school is asked to accommodate an unreasonable number of challenging pupils, and to ensure that there is not an unreasonable delay in placing pupils that are deemed to be challenging. On rare occasions applications can be referred to the In Year Fair Access Panel whose task it is to make decisions on individual applications. You will be notified in writing if this happens, and an officer from the School Admissions team will guide you through the process.

Herefordshire schools admissions contact details

Address: School Admissions, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane Offices, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE

Telephone: Reception admissions officers 01432 260926 or 01432 261574
Telephone: Secondary phase transfer officer 01432 260925
Send Email