Is someone else looking after your child?

The council has a duty to ensure the arrangements are safe and secure for your child. If someone else is looking after your child for 28 days or more it counts as private fostering. You are legally required to notify the council when the arrangement starts and to let us know when your child leaves the care of the private foster carers. You must also make sure your child's records are passed to the private foster carer for the duration of the arrangement. You will need to provide the name and address of the person they are moving on to.

Those with parental responsibility, usually the child's parents, are still legally responsible for them and should stay in contact with them. You have to give permission for:

  • Routine medical treatment
  • Changing school
  • Going on holiday
  • Moving to another family

Private fostering contact details

Telephone: 01432 260800

Send Email