Are you looking after someone else's child?

If you are looking after someone else's child for longer than a month, you are a private foster carer. You are legally required to let us know so that we can make sure that any child or young person is in a suitable and safe private fostering arrangement. We will visit the child and provide help and advice where necessary. The child's parents are expected to notify the council of the arrangement, and make sure their child's records are passed to you for the duration of the arrangement.

We have to ensure that:

  • The child or young person is being looked after properly
  • Appropriate arrangements are agreed between parties and
  • Everyone involved knows who to ask for help if advice or support is needed

We also need to know when the child leaves your care and you will need to provide the name and address of the person they are moving on to.

Private foster carers should look after the child or young person by:

  • Providing them with regular meals
  • Providing them with a bed of their own and clean clothes
  • Making sure they go to school when needed
  • Helping them enjoy sports and hobbies
  • Helping them to stay in touch with their family
  • Helping them to follow any religion or customs that are important to them

Those with parental responsibility, usually the child's parents, are still legally responsible for them and should stay in contact with them. They need to give permission for:

  • Routine medical treatment
  • Changing school
  • Going on holiday
  • Moving to another family

Private fostering contact details

Telephone: 01432 260800

Send Email