Skip to main content

We're developing a new website New pages are available and will work alongside the current pages while we gather your feedback and continue to make improvements and add features. You can use either set of pages to complete your task. Visit the new beta pages for Waste and Recycling and give us your feedback using the link at the bottom of the pages.

× Close Try our new beta webpages

Household recycling centres

We provide facilities where county residents may deposit their own household waste and recycling. This service is provided for Herefordshire Council by a private company - Severn Waste Services Ltd. 

Select the links below to see household waste and recycling centre locations, opening times and materials accepted. All sites are closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year's Day.

No trade waste is permitted as any of these facilities.

Commercial vehicle and trailer (CVT) permits

If you wish to use a commercial type vehicle or a trailer larger than 1.3m in length to deposit your household waste, you will need a permit to use a household recycling centre. A Commercial Vehicle and Trailer (CVT) permit scheme is in operation at all household recycling centres in Herefordshire and Worcestershire. You can find further details on the scheme and how to apply below.

Commercial vehicle and trailer (CVT) permits

CVT permits allow for the disposal of household waste from residents private properties in Herefordshire and Worcestershire using 'commercial type' vehicles.

Please note these permits will not be issued for business or trade waste disposal.

Apply online for a CVT permit

Commercial type vehicle and trailer restrictions apply at all household recycling centres (HRCs) in Herefordshire and Worcestershire. CVT permits are only available to residents of either county who wish to dispose of household waste from their own domestic property. 

This scheme applies to anyone who uses:

  • Commercial type vehicle (including hire vans)
  • Trailer over 1.3m internal length (excluding draw/tow bar and hitch)

The permit scheme is designed to tackle a range of issues including the illegal disposal of business waste which would otherwise cost the council and ultimately council tax payers.

Implementation of the scheme is also helping to reduce congestion, improve health and safety and increase recycling.

Permits are available FREE of charge to residents of both Herefordshire and Worcestershire.

A copy of your vehicle registration document is required to complete your application. All applications must be made in advance.

You should allow up to 10 working days to receive your permits in the post.

Permit rules:

  • Households are permitted up to 12 permits per year (April to March)
  • Permits will be issued on a pro-rata basis, dependent upon month of application from April to March
  • Permits must be presented to site staff upon entry and will be retained
  • Each permit allows one visit at any time between April to March
  • Existing permits must be returned if any changes are required before replacement permits will be issued on a like for like basis
  • No business waste is permitted

Commercial type vehicle examples

Vehicle typePermit required?
Pickup for example Hilux, Ranger, L200 Yes
Crew cab pickup Yes
King cab pickup Yes
Any listed above with hard or soft top over the load bay, with or without windows/vents Yes
4x4 or utility vehicle fully glazed with rear seats and no load bay, for example Landcruiser, Shogun, Frontera, Range Rover, Land Rover 110 with rear side glazing and rear seats No
4x4 or utility vehicle without rear seats and rear side glazing (such as panel van or pickup style) for example Landrover 110 without rear side windows and rear seats, Hilux with windowed hard shell over load bay Yes
Small car-based panel van (with no rear side windows or no rear seats) for example Escort van, Astra van Yes
Any vehicle clearly used as a commercial vehicle with commercial livery or sign writing, except taxis. For example estate car with 'Jims Plumbing' livery Yes

Download the HRC commercial vehicle and trailer permit policy

Applying for a permit

Apply online for a CVT permit

  • Households are permitted up to 12 permits per year (April to March)
  • Permits are issued on a pro-rata basis, dependent upon the month of application, allowing 1 permit per calendar month, for example applying in October you will receive 6 permits

Unable to apply online?

What supporting evidence documentation can I use?

  • A copy of the vehicle registration document or current vehicle certificate of insurance
  • Letter of authorisation from vehicle owner (company or personal)
  • Vehicle hire agreement form issued by hire company
  • Long term lease agreement
  • Mobility agreement

Does the permit have an expiry date?

  • Yes. Permits will expire on 31 March for the financial year in which they are issued and will not be accepted after this date

Can I take business waste to a household recycling centre?

  • Business (trade) waste will NOT be accepted at household recycling centres. It is unlawful to dispose of any waste other than your own household waste
  • You can get advice on how to manage your business waste from your local council or by searching for 'waste management services' online

Why are banks for paper, cardboard, plastic bottles and cans no longer provided?

Following the council's introduction of a kerbside recycling service to all households in the county, there is no longer a reasonable need to provide additional recycling banks. In fact these sites are commonly used by businesses that may not lawfully use this service which is only provided for householders to use.

Why have the number of bottle banks been reduced?

In the past, the bring site service has been important in providing householders a place to recycle common household items. However, following the success of our kerbside recycling service introduced in November 2009 we can no longer justify providing so many sites, as many have become vastly underused. Over 80% of households have access to a domestic recycling wheeled bin service and therefore have an opportunity to recycle glass from their homes. The reduction to 8 bottle bank sites will remove duplication of costs and will result in savings of over £100,000 per annum.

Why are a small number of banks for glass bottles and jars needed?

Many residents are provided with recycling sacks where a bin may be unsuitable (due to access or lack of a storage place). Residents using recycling sacks should not place glass bottles and jars in the sacks as broken glass could cause harm. Therefore a limited number of well used sites for glass bottles and jars is provided to allow these residents to recycle their glass.

I have a recycling sack can I have a bin?

As long as there is suitable access and storage for the bin it may be possible for you to have a recycling wheeled bin instead. Please contact us:

A to Z of services