Working with us at elections

Did you know we have over 700 paid positions available every time a national election takes place? Would you like to assist us in the election process by working in a polling station, or perhaps counting votes after the close of poll?

Herefordshire Council's Elections team are always on the lookout for motivated and dynamic staff to fill any vacancies that may occur to ensure that the process is run smoothly, and in an open and transparent way.

All staff are appointed and employed by the Returning Officer not Herefordshire Council and as such the council’s normal recruitment policies and procedures do not apply to these temporary posts.

The Returning Officer plays a central role in the democratic process and their role is to ensure that the conduct of an election is in accordance with the law, and their responsibility is one of a personal nature distinct from their duties as an employee of the council.


To undertake election duties you must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Be entitled to work in the UK (in accordance with the provisions of the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996) and you must provide proof of right to work in the UK with the required evidence upon application
  • All staff must not work on behalf of a candidate during an election campaign, nor be related to a prospective candidate
  • Polling and count staff must consent to working in excess of the normal working hours provided for by the working time directive

We have numerous job roles available listed on the following pages and would love to hear from you if you are interested in becoming involved.

Staff payment FAQs

When will I get paid?

You will be paid for the general election on 31 January 2020.

How do I access my payslip?

You will need to contact employee services at providing them with your full name, address and email address. They can then send you an email to set up your online payslip account.

Tax has been deducted from my elections payment and it shouldn't have been. How do I get this back?

You will need to contact the HMRC to get this tax returned to you. Electoral Services cannot do this for you.

Send a letter addressed to HM Revenue & Customs, Pay As You Earn, PO Box 1970, Liverpool, L75 1WX. 

This letter should state:

  • I have been taxed on the Election work carried out for Electoral Services. My National Insurance Number is….and I have enclosed a copy of my payslip for your information.
  • I confirm that the work was for an election, which is a one off employment during this tax year.
  • I can confirm that this was my only employment and I will not be taking up any further employment in this tax year.
  • I have not, nor will be given a P45 as I will remain on their election payroll as an election employee ready for elections taking place next year.

Electoral Shared Services employee tax reference number is 064/H1285EL and their tax accounts office reference number is 064PR00166053.

Why has my payment has gone into the incorrect bank account?

All of our records are up to date as of 7 January 2020. Our staff appointment form A asked you to tick if we held your correct bank details and the appointment email quoted the last 4 digits of the account number we hold for you. If you stated that these were incorrect a 'bank details' form would have been sent to you for completion and your details subsequently updated.

We cannot update your bank details unless you make us aware that they have changed and provide us with the details. If you have a re-direction on your old account then payroll should automatically transfer it to the new account. You may need to contact them to make them aware of the situation at

How do I update my address, email or contact information?

Please email providing us with your full name and change of information. We can then update our records and the payroll system. If you were previously a Herefordshire Council employee, please ensure that you have given us your home contact information.

How do I change my bank details for future elections?

Please email and we will send you a 'bank details' form to complete. We can then update our records and the payroll system.

I have forgotten my username/password to access my payslip

You will need to contact employee services at stating your full name and that you have forgotten your username/password.