Qualifying as a candidate

To stand for election to become a Herefordshire councillor you must be:

  • At least 18 years old on the day of your nomination, and
  • A British citizen, commonwealth citizen or a citizen of any other member of the European Union

You must also meet at least one of the following:

  • You are, and will continue to be, registered as a local government elector for the council area in which you wish to stand, or
  • You have occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in the council area during the whole of the 12 months preceding the day of election, or
  • Your principle or only place of work during the 12 months before the day of election has been in the council area, or
  • You have lived in the council area during the whole of the 12 months before the day of election

Apart from meeting the qualifications for standing for election, you must also not be disqualified from standing.


There are certain people who are disqualified from being elected to a council in England and Wales. You cannot be a candidate at the time of your nomination and on the day of the election if:

  • You are employed by the council or hold a paid office under the authority (including joint boards or committees). Note that you may be 'employed by the council', for example, if you work at certain schools, fire services, police or health services. This list is not exhaustive, or
  • You are the subject of a bankruptcy restrictions order or interim order, or
  • You have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of three months or more (including a suspended sentence), without the option of a fine, during the five years before polling day, or
  • You have been disqualified under the Representation of the People Act 1983 (which covers corrupt or illegal electoral practices and offences relating to donations) or under the Audit Commission Act 1998

A person may also be disqualified from election if they have been disqualified from standing for election to a local authority following a decision of the First-tier Tribunal (formerly the Adjudication Panel for England or Wales).