We welcome positive feedback when you are happy with the service provided as it lets us know what we are doing right – make a compliment. We also welcome your involvement in consultations to help shape services.

If you are unhappy, we will work with you to resolve your query or issue at a service level, and if you are not happy with the outcome we will explain why we've taken that particular course of action or find an alternative remedy. If you are still not happy with the outcome the following routes can be taken.

Formal complaint

A formal complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction about the standard of service, action or lack of action by the council, our staff or contractors. This could be based on stated standards not being met or not being what the customer thinks is reasonable:

  • We are doing something the customer did not want
  • We carried out duties in an unsatisfactory way or our staff or contractors behaved in an unacceptable way
  • We failed to do something which was asked for
  • We should have done something

Generally, a complaint has to be made within 12 months from the day the matter occurred or came to the notice of the complainant.

Formal complaints will be dealt with only through the information access team and we will not reinvestigate the same complaint. For further information visit the make a complaint page.

If you are not satisfied with the way your complaint has been dealt with you have the right to take it to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.

Also if a request for information under Freedom of Information or Environmental Information Request is not considered satisfactory, the request can be referred to the Information Commissioner's Office.

Children's complaints procedure

The process for dealing with complaints made by, on behalf of, or in respect of children is slightly different. There is a three stage process. For further information visit the make a complaint page.

Independent Regulatory Challenge Panel

The Independent Regulatory Challenge Panel provides an independent means for any person to complain about the actions of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) or local council health and safety regulators. Complaints may only be referred to the panel if they have first been raised locally and it has not been possible to resolve the matter.