Busking is when you perform in a public place (usually singing, dancing, or playing of musical instruments), with the intention of asking people money for the performance. You do not currently need a licence to busk but we strongly encourage you to participate in our code of conduct which was written to prevent busking from:

  • Becoming intrusive and an annoyance to people (usually by loud, continuous or repetitive noise)
  • Obstructing the highway

If a busker is causing nuisance with noise from amplified music or without amplification, the council has the power to take action. For more information about problem noise see noise nuisance. The police also have powers where they consider a public nuisance or obstruction is being caused. The council reserves the right to take action against any unlawful street trading linked to busking.

Busking code of conduct

  • Noise (for example music or voice) should not be so loud that it can be plainly heard at a distance of 50m
  • Drumming should only be included as a minor part of the act
  • An entertainer should not perform for longer than one hour in any location without then taking a break of 30 consecutive minutes. Alternatively, you should relocate to another location at least 50 metres away, not returning to the original location within 3 hours
  • An entertainer should not compromise public safety in any way. Nor should they obstruct free passage of pedestrians or vehicles on the highway (including pavements and pedestrianised areas), or allow an audience to do so. Access to shops, cycle stands and bus stops should be kept clear, as well as the tactile path for the visually impaired, between the Buttermarket and WH Smiths in Hereford
  • Use should not be made of street furniture such as lighting, benches or bins
  • No sign inviting payment may be displayed
  • Proper use of public telephones should not be prevented, either because of noise or obstruction
  • An entertainer should not locate in close proximity of another event, entertainer or musician who is already performing. No two performances should interfere with each other and any licensed council bookings will always take priority
  • An entertainer should immediately stop performing or relocate when requested to do so by a police officer or council representative
  • The quality of an 'act' should show a positive intention to entertain passers-by, not to solicit money through sympathy

Busking contact details

Telephone: 01432 261761

Send Email