Weddings and civil ceremonies
Herefordshire is a beautiful county and offers a wide range of venues set within stunning scenery. Weddings and civil ceremonies can take place at any Registration Office or approved premises in Herefordshire. You do not have to live in the county to have a ceremony in Herefordshire.
You can find all the information and guidance you need to get married on the marriages and civil partnerships pages on GOV.UK. Please read this before contacting us.
- Choose a venue
- Find out the ceremony costs
- To book a registrar for your chosen venue please complete our ceremony booking form and ensure before making your booking that you have read our terms and conditions, by continuing to book your ceremony through Herefordshire Registration Services, you agree to be bound by these
- Pay the non-refundable and non-transferable £60 booking fee when you book the registrars for your ceremony. This is applicable to the booking of any ceremony (except for the statutory £46 ceremony). We can take bookings for ceremonies up to two years in advance
- Give notice of marriage before the date of your ceremony - both parties will need to give a separate notice of marriage in person to the Superintendent Registrar for the registration district where they live. A notice of marriage is valid for 12 months and must be valid at the time of your ceremony. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment to give notice in Herefordshire
- Both parties will need to give in person a separate notice of marriage to the Superintendent Registrar of the district where they live at least 29 days before the ceremony
- At the notice of marriage appointment, the Superintendent Registrar will ask to see original documents to prove your identity and that you are free to marry in this country, see the full list of documents to bring on GOV.UK). Photocopies will not be accepted. Superintendent Registrars will be able to refuse to issue their authority for a marriage to proceed if they are not satisfied that a person is free to marry in this country
- Registration officers have a legal duty to report any marriage they suspect has been arranged for the sole purpose of evading the statutory immigration controls
On the day of the wedding you will need to bring with you at least two other people who are prepared to witness the marriage and sign the marriage schedule.
You will need to pay a fee for:
- The giving of a notice of marriage by each person. The cost is £35 each
- The attendance of a registrar to register the marriage - see our fees section
These fees are set by government and may change each year. For marriages at approved premises in Herefordshire there is a fee set by Herefordshire Council for the attendance of the Superintendent Registrar and Registrar.