Protect an adult
Abuse of any description is wrong. By reporting abuse you can help bring it to an end.
To report a concern about an adult please ring us on:
- 01432 260715 (weekdays 9am to 5pm)
- 0330 123 9309 (after 5pm, weekends and public holidays)
- If someone is injured or in immediate danger dial 999
- If there is no emergency but you think a crime may have been committed ring West Mercia Police on 0300 333 3000 or 101
You can also email your concerns using the referral form (Word document) to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at: Adult Safeguarding, Herefordshire Council, Adults and Wellbeing, Elgar House, Holmer Road Hereford HR4 9BD.
You can find referral forms and guidance for completing them on the Herefordshire Safeguarding Adults Board website:
You can find more information about types of abuse, what happens when you report abuse, and the work being done by social services and other professionals to protect adults in Herefordshire on the Herefordshire Safeguarding Adults Board website. Adult abuse includes:
- Physical abuse - including assault, hitting, slapping, pushing, misuse of medication, restraint or inappropriate physical sanctions
- Domestic violence - including psychological, physical, sexual, financial and emotional abuse
- Sexual abuse - including rape, indecent exposure, sexual harassment, inappropriate looking or touching, sexual teasing or innuendo, sexual photography, subjection to pornography or witnessing sexual acts, indecent exposure and sexual assault or sexual acts to which the adult has not consented or was pressured into consenting
- Psychological abuse - including emotional abuse, threats of harm or abandonment, deprivation of contact, humiliation, blaming, controlling, intimidation, coercion, harassment, verbal abuse, cyber bullying, isolation or unreasonable and unjustified withdrawal of services or supportive networks
- Financial or material abuse - including theft, fraud, internet scamming, coercion in relation to an adult's financial affairs or arrangements, including in connection with wills, property, inheritance or financial transactions, or the misuse or misappropriation of property, possessions or benefits
- Modern slavery - including human trafficking, forced labour and domestic servitude
- Discriminatory abuse - including forms of harassment, slurs or similar treatment because of race, gender and gender identity, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion
- Organisational abuse - including neglect and poor care practice within an institution or specific care setting such as a hospital or care home, for example, or in relation to care provided in one's own home
- Neglect and acts of omission - including ignoring medical, emotional or physical care needs, failure to provide access to appropriate health, care and support or educational services, the withholding of the necessities of life, such as medication, adequate nutrition and heating
- Self-neglect - this covers a wide range of behaviour neglecting to care for one's personal hygiene, health or surroundings and includes behaviour such as hoarding
It is abuse whether or not it is intentional.