New special free school
On 29 March 2018, the Department for Education announced that Barrs Court Academy Trust had been selected to run the county's new special school.
Herefordshire Council was one of only 14 councils across the country to be successful in its bid to create a new special free school.
The school will provide places for 50 young people aged 16 to 19 years old with severe and complex learning disabilities, including autism.
The school is scheduled to open in 2020 and is planned to be located close to Hereford Sixth Form College, Hereford College of Arts and Herefordshire and Ludlow College on the former Broadlands Primary School site. This will enable students to benefit from a range of different facilities and contact with other Post 16 students.
The school will create a new centre of excellence for young people with special educational needs (SEN) and will:
- Provide high quality teaching and learning
- Offer high quality information, advice and guidance
- Provide a community facility outside of school hours
- Enable internships and work experience
- Support students in other educational facilities, including mainstream schools, colleges and training providers
- Provide a resource hub for staff working with SEN children and their families
Contact details and further information
If you would like any further information, please contact:
Chris Baird, Director for Children's Wellbeing at email@example.com or 01432 260264