New special free school - Beacon College
On 29 March 2018, the Department for Education announced that Barrs Court Academy Trust (now Accordia Schools Trust) had been selected to run the county's new special school.
The Beacon College opened on schedule in September 2021 and provides places for 60 young people aged 16 to 19 years old with severe and complex learning disabilities, including autism.
It is located close to Hereford Sixth Form College, Hereford College of Arts and Herefordshire and Ludlow College on the former Broadlands Primary School site. This enables students to benefit from a range of different facilities and contact with other Post-16 students.
The college is a centre of excellence for young people with special educational needs (SEN) and:
- Provides high quality teaching and learning
- Offers high quality information, advice and guidance
- Provides a community facility outside of school hours
- Enables internships and work experience
- Supports students in other educational facilities, including mainstream schools, colleges and training providers
- Provides a resource hub for staff working with SEN children and their families