Advice and support for parents and carers of children with SEND

There are lots of local and national organisations that can provide information, advice and support for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities and their families.

SEN team

Herefordshire Council's SEN team can answer questions and provide support when your child is going through a statutory assessment or already has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

Every child or young person known to the SEN team will have an allocated EHC caseworker. If you're not sure who your child or young person's caseworker is or you don't have their direct contact details, you can contact the SEN team on 01432 261756 or email (please note there's an underscore at start of the email address).


Herefordshire and Worcestershire Special Educational Needs Disabilities (SEND) Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) provides impartial information, advice and support on all matters relating to children and young people with SEND.

This service is free, accessible and confidential and provided at 'arm's length' from Herefordshire Council.

SENDIASS aims to represent the views of parents, carers, children and young people to feedback to the council to help shape local policy and practice.

Parent Carer Voice Herefordshire (PCVH)

Parent Carer Voice Herefordshire (PCVH) is the local parent carer forum which promotes the participation of parent carers in the planning and delivery of services for children and young people (0-25 years) with SEND in Herefordshire.

PCVH offers an opportunity for families of children and young people with SEND to come together, to share information and to provide support to each other, while helping to create services that meet the needs of their families.

SEND Local Offer Facebook page

Herefordshire Council's SEND Local Offer Facebook page regularly posts information about local activities, groups and support services for children and young people with SEND and their families.

Neighbouring local offers

You may find it useful to take a look at the SEND local offers for our neighbouring counties to find out what is available for children and young people with SEND, especially if you live near the border:

Local support organisations

Aspire support people with learning disabilities to live the life they choose.

Autism West Midlands are the leading charity in the West Midlands for people on the autism spectrum. They use their expertise to enrich the lives of autistic people and those who love and care for them. Staff and volunteers work across all age groups and abilities, providing direct support.

Citizens Advice Herefordshire aim to provide the advice people need for the problems they face and improve the policies and practices that affect people's lives. They provide free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.

Crossroads Together provide practical support for unpaid carers who look after someone with a disability, illness, mental health problem or an addiction.

ECHO offer community-based leisure and social activities, volunteering, work experience and training for adults with learning disabilities.

Herefordshire Disability United is run by and for people with disabilities and provide a voice for those with a disability on local and national issues.

Look is a small local charity which connects and supports visually impaired children, young people and their families.

Marches Family Network offer support, respite and social opportunities for disabled children and advice, assistance and friendship for their families.

National Autistic Society Herefordshire offer a range of support and activities for autistic people of all ages and their families.

National support

Caudwell Children offer practical and emotional support, services, equipment, therapies and treatments for children with disabilities.

Cerebra provide advice and support for families of children aged 0 to 16 years old with brain conditions.

Changing Places provide a nationwide map to help you find toilets which have more space and the right equipment, such as a height adjustable changing bench or hoist, if you can't use a standard accessible toilet.

Contact offer information, advice and support for families with disabled children, including a free helpline and online community.

Council for Disabled Children is the umbrella body for the disabled children's sector, bringing together professionals, practitioners and policy makers. They provide useful information and resources for both families and professionals.

Disability Grants can help you find local and national funding, which can be used to purchase disability equipment, home adaptations or holidays.

Down's Syndrome Association provide information and advice for people with Down's Syndrome, their families and carers, to help support a full and rewarding life.

Family Fund provide grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people, to help ease additional pressures and improve quality of life. The funding can be used to purchase a wide range of items, such as washing machines, sensory toys, family breaks, bedding, furniture, outdoor play equipment or computers.

IPSEA (Independent Provider of Special Education Advice) offer free and independent legally based information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with special educational needs.

Living Made Easy provide impartial advice and guidance on a range of aids and solutions, which can support independent living.

National Deaf Children's Society offer a range of services, information and support for deaf children, young people and their families.

National Network of Parent Carer Forums is an independent national voice of parent carer forums. They aim to deliver better outcomes for families living with SEND by creating a culture of participation and co-production across the education, health, social care and voluntary sectors.

Scope is a disability equality charity, which provide practical information and emotional support, when it's most needed, alongside campaigning for a fairer society.

Sense offer personalised information, advice and support, including holidays and short breaks, for anyone living with complex disabilities or deaf-blindness.

SOS!SEN offer a free, friendly, independent and confidential telephone helpline for parents looking for information and advice on special educational needs and disability.

Special Needs Jungle provide parent-led information, resources and informed opinion about children and young people with special educational needs.