Category E - Does not have arms or has long term loss of the use of both arms

A person is eligible for a concessionary bus pass if they do not have arms or if they have long term loss of use of both arms.

You will be eligible if:

  • You have both arms but are unable to use them to carry out day to day tasks
  • You have a limb reduction deficiency of both arms
  • You have bilateral upper limb amputation, or
  • You have a medical condition or condition (muscular dystrophy, spinal cord injury, motor neurone disease or condition of comparable severity) which affects the use of your arms

You will not be eligible if:

  • You have one arm and are able to carry out day to day tasks

Proving that you are eligible

You can do this by providing one of the following:

  • If you apply in person, and it is obvious that you are without arms, or without hands then documentary evidence is not necessary
  • Documents which demonstrate that you have lost the use of your arms over the long term (12 months or more). These may include letters from your consultant or GP which you may already have in your possession
  • For a veteran, the Reasons for Decision letter under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS)
  • Letter from a medical practitioner who is treating you, for example a physiotherapist or consultant
  • You may ask your GP to provide a letter, but this is not an NHS Service. The doctor is not obliged to provide one. As this is a private service you would be charged for a letter. We do not deal directly with GPs and we cannot contact them on your behalf

The criteria are the same as those used to consider Disability Living Allowance (DLA) higher rate mobility component and the 'Moving Around' activity of Personal Independence Payment (PIP). We will issue a temporary pass if evidence only covers you for a limited period or if your condition is likely to improve or is temporary.