Category C - Without speech

A person is eligible for a concessionary bus pass if they are without speech.

You will be eligible if:

  • You are unable to communicate orally in any language, for example you are unable to make clear basic oral requests or you are unable to ask specific questions to clarify instructions

You will not be eligible if:

  • You have speech bit it is slow or difficult to understand, for example if you have a severe stammer, or
  • You cannot speak English, but you do speak another language

Proving that you are eligible

You can do this by providing one of the following:

  • Evidence that you have been awarded 8 points or more for the 'Communicating Verbally' activity of Personal Independence Payment' (PIP)
  • Letter from social services, or another appropriate organisation providing support services, stating that you are without speech
  • For a child, a statement of Special Educational Needs
  • Documents which demonstrate that you are without speech. These may include letters from your consultant or GP which you may already have in your possession
  • You may ask your GP to provide a letter, but this is not an NHS service. The doctor is not obliged to provide one. As this is a private service you could be charged for a letter. We do not deal directly with GPs and we cannot contact them on your behalf 

Any letter provided as evidence should describe your disability so that it is possible to see whether any criteria above apply to you. It should also say whether your disability is permanent or temporary and, if temporary, it should state the expected duration.