Planning permission and consents for waste activities

Proposals for new development to deal with waste commodities usually need planning permission, although in some cases an existing area of land or a building may already allow the treatment of waste, which is regarded as equivalent to any other B2 industrial development. 

EU Directives

There are many EU Directives related to waste, which are transcribed into UK legislation. The Waste Incineration Directive (WID), the Mining Waste Directive, the End of Life Vehicles (ELV) Directive and the Waste Electrical, the Waste Framework Directive and the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive are just a few examples. 

Compliance with all relevant Directives is essential, as well as obtaining a valid and current planning permission.

To find out more about EU Directives on Waste, please:

UK Environmental Protection legislation

All waste facilities are subject to additional controls through UK Environmental Protection legislation. These are administered by the Environment Agency and/or the council's Environmental Health department through licensing, consents and Environmental Permits.

The Environment Agency regulates all waste activities, including transfer, transportation, storage, treatment, processing. Some of these activities may require an Environmental Permit, or may require you to register an Exemption. Please seek agency advice alongside any planning application.

Planning applications and permission

In practice, planning applications subject to these additional controls must be considered in land-use planning terms, as to whether they are capable of compliance.

Simple waste storage and transfer may not need permission. Any treatment - processing or changing the nature of the materials - needs permission in its own right. Examples of waste treatment include:

  • Tyre shredding
  • Wood-chipping
  • Cleaning waste water

Visual impact, ecological harm, pollution risks, air and water quality, noise and odour are material considerations requiring mitigation at the planning stage. The council works closely with the Environment Agency to ensure high standards of management and control.

Minerals and waste contact details

For more information or advice contact Rebecca Jenman - Principal planning officer, minerals and waste

Telephone: 01432 261961

Send Email