Children with social, emotional and mental health difficulties (5 - 16 years old)

If you are worried about your child's mental health it is important to seek advice. You should talk to your child or young person's teacher or the SENCO at the school or college or speak to your GP if they have thoughts of suicide, hearing voices, feelings of unreality, are becoming very angry or violent, are showing signs of an eating disorder or are becoming very withdrawn.

Wellbeing and Emotional Support Teams (WEST) in schools

The Wellbeing and Emotional Support Teams (WEST) in schools service is designed to help children and young people aged 5-18 years access mental health and wellbeing support early on in educational settings. It's all about ensuring children and young people can get access to the right help as early as possible.

Referrals to the service are made through the mental health lead within the specific education setting. Parents and carers can do this. The child or young person can also self-refer via the school staff, who will then discuss it with the mental health lead.

To find out more and check if there is a WEST practitioner working in your child or young person's educational setting, visit the WEST website.

SEMH Inclusion Service

Primary and secondary schools will have their own policies and strategies for supporting children with behaviour issues. They may also call upon Herefordshire Council's SEMH Inclusion Service.

Childhood and Adolescent Mental Health Support (CAMHS)

Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) provide mental health help to children, young people and their families across Herefordshire.

CAMHS is a collection of NHS services that specifically support children and young people between the ages of 5-18 years with their emotional wellbeing and mental health.

For young people with a diagnosis of a learning disability, there is a specialist team called Herefordshire CAMHS Learning Disability Service.

All referrals to Herefordshire CAMHS must be completed by professionals using the CAMHS referral form. The CAMHS team in Herefordshire can accept referrals from people who work closely with children and young people such as GPs, school nurses, health visitors, social workers, specialist staff within schools and paediatricians.

Visit the parents and carers page on the CAMHS website for lots of tips and resources to support how your child is feeling.

Local support

There are local organisations that can help with difficulties with mental health. Visit the Talk Community children and young people's mental health page for more information.