Housing for young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)

Young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) may find it hard to have a home of their own when they become an adult. Some adults with learning disabilities live with their families, however, at some point they could also decide to live more independently and leave the family home, which lots more people with a learning disability are now choosing to do.

Our vision is that by 2024, all disabled young people with eligible needs will have access to targeted or supported housing which is appropriate to their needs.

Safe, decent and affordable housing is a really important part of helping young people become economically active young adults. Our strategy will support people to become more independent in finding and keeping their own home in the future.

There is lots of information on our website about:

  • Home improvement and adaptation - information about the council's service that provides support and guidance on adaptations to make homes more accessible
  • Living aids, equipment and telecare - information about gadgets and aids that help you live at home independently.
  • Shared Lives Scheme - a scheme designed to help adults with learning disabilities, mental health problems or other needs that make it harder for them to live on their own

Housing-related support schemes

Housing-related support schemes help people in Herefordshire live as independently as possible within their own communities. The two types of support available within Herefordshire are accommodation based support and floating support.

These schemes are mainly delivered by registered social housing providers, better known as housing associations, so they don't include any personal care, such as getting out of bed, washing, bathing or taking medication.

Accommodation based support

This type of scheme provides housing and support together in a combined, personalised package to meet an individual's assessed needs. Some schemes are long term, designed for people who need ongoing support to live independently, others are provided on a shorter term basis for up to two years.

This type of short-term accommodation based support is designed to help vulnerable people develop the emotional and practical skills they'll need to be able to move into ordinary housing. It can include support with:

  • Developing daily living skills
  • Accessing education, training and employment
  • Managing debt and benefits
  • Health needs, such as mental health issues, drug or alcohol use

Floating support

This type of scheme provides a support worker who will offer personalised support, similar to that listed above, in an individual's own home in order to meet their assessed needs and help them continue living independently.

The different types of housing-related support schemes in Herefordshire will have different eligibility criteria, depending upon the people they are designed to support. All participating residents will be expected to work with the support provider in order to gain the skills and confidence needed to live independently successfully.

To find out more about housing-related support in Herefordshire and who may be eligible, visit the housing section.