Disabled Students' Allowance (higher education)

Schools and colleges should help young people to plan for transition to higher education by providing information about their options and support to move on to your next phase of education.

When a young person has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), this will cease when they leave further education and go into higher education. It may be helpful for their EHCP to be shared with the higher education establishment they are applying to.

Email the SEN team at _senteamdiary@herefordshire.gov.uk if it is necessary to arrange for the EHCP to be sent to the new university or higher education establishment.

About Disabled Students' Allowance

Video: Student Finance England

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) is support to cover the study-related costs a student has because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability. This can be on its own or in addition to any student finance they get.

The type of support and how much a student gets depends on their individual needs - not household income.


Once eligibility for DSA is confirmed, Student Finance England may ask the student to contact an assessment centre to work out what help they need.

This is known as a needs assessment and should not be booked until Student Finance England requests it. The assessment is paid for through any DSA entitlement the student may have.

After the assessment, the student will get a report listing equipment and other support they can get for their course.

Further information about the Disabled Students' Allowance on the government website.