We use cookies

Severe weather conditions - Flooding

Herefordshire is experiencing significant and widespread flooding. Please avoid any unnecessary travel and do not enter flood water.

After a flood

Flood damage

If you have been affected by the flooding - all Household Recycling Centres in Herefordshire are waiving the need for a permit for a commercial vehicle until Sunday 1 March, for any resident with flood damaged items they need to dispose of. 

Normal rules prohibiting the use of these facilities by businesses and the deposit of commercial waste still apply.

Help with removing flood damaged items

Herefordshire Council are providing a free service to collect flood damaged household items from outside residents’ houses. If your house has been flooded and you have water damaged items to dispose of, please register for help and we will be in touch as soon as possible. We are co-ordinating refuse collection vehicles to assist households across the county so will be in touch as soon as we can.

Register for help with removing flood damaged items

Financial support after flooding

On 18 February 2020, Central Government announced that they will provide financial support to those affected by flooding in Herefordshire from storms Dennis and Ciara.

Applications for our hardship schemes are now open and we encourage everyone who is entitled to make an application.‚Äč

We appreciate that this has been a very difficult time for you and we will endeavour to process your application as soon as possible.

Community Flood Recovery Grant for residential properties

  • The grant is for £500 and paid direct to the household.
  • Households are eligible where flood water has entered the habitable areas of the property, or the residence is considered unliveable for any period of time due to flooding.
  • The grant does not apply to empty homes, second homes or student accommodation.

Apply for the Community Flood Recovery Grant online

Business Flood Recovery Grant for business premises

  • The grant is up to £2,500 per small / medium sized business affected, as a grant paid direct to the business.
  • Businesses are eligible where the business is directly impacted or has directly suffered a loss of trade as a result of the flooding that cannot be recovered from insurance.

Apply for the Business Flood Recovery Grant online

Council Tax and Business rate relief

Resilience Grant

  • Properties and business can apply for up to £5,000 to help make them more resilient to future flooding.
  • Herefordshire Council is currently finalising the details of this grant with Central Government. Further details will follow in due course.

Clean up

If your home or property has been flooded it could be contaminated by oil, silt and sewage. This will need to be carefully and completely cleaned up to remove any health risk.

Contact your GP immediately if you think your health has been affected.

If you are concerned about contaminated water or sewage in floodwater, call our environmental health team on 01432 261761.

If you think an elderly relative or neighbour has been affected by flooding get in touch with our adult social care team.

If a road has been affected, you can report potholes and damaged roads after flooding.

The Environment Agency has information about cleaning your house as well as details of organisations that can help you do this. National Health England also has a useful leaflet on how to clean up after a flood (PDF). Unless they are contaminated, you can dispose of most water-damaged items at one of our household recycling centres. Ask the staff there if you need any help.

If you are worried about the security of your property call West Mercia Police.

Reusing and disposing of sandbags

Dry out sandbags and store them in a shed, garage or under cover so you can use them again. If you cannot store them, open them up and spread the sand on your garden if you have one. You can then treat the sacks as normal waste. If the sand or bags are contaminated, please dispose of them responsibly. Contact our Environmental Health team for advice if you are unsure, email ethelpline@herefordshire.gov.uk or call 01432 261761.

Emotional support

Having a flooded home is very stressful. If you need emotional support, contact family and friends, your doctor or an organisation like the Red Cross or the Samaritans.

Public Health England also offers a guide to mental wellbeing after a flood.


Flood Re is a joint initiative between the Government and insurers. Its aim is to make the flood cover part of household insurance policies more affordable. You can read about How Flood Re works (pdf). It is important that people at high flood-risk in Herefordshire shop around for the best insurance policy. For more information visit the Flood Re website.

A loss adjuster is someone who is employed by an insurance company to decide how much money should be paid to a person making a claim.

A loss assessor is someone appointed by a policy holder to manage a claim on their behalf.

Advice from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) about flooding resilience and on working through the insurance system after a flood:

After flooding information email and text updates

Sign up to receive email or text updates on this, and a variety of other topics from Herefordshire Council.