The Herefordshire county self-build and custom build register was established in April 2016. It allows us to develop our housing and planning policies to reflect the demand within Herefordshire.
The register includes:
- Self-build (where you directly organise the design and construction of your new home)
- Custom build (where you work with a specialist developer to help deliver your own home)
- Community led housing
- Residential refurbishment of disused buildings
You can read more about why councils maintain a register in the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 (as amended by the Housing and Planning Act 2016).
To be eligible you must be:
- Aged 18 or over
- A British citizen, a national of a EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
- Looking for a serviced plot of land, in the Herefordshire Council area, to build a property that will be your sole or main residence
Data from self-build and custom build register
At present, we have 587 entrants on the register who are interested in building their own properties.
- The first base period - 175 individuals registered and were accepted onto the register
- The second base period saw a further 144 people applying and accepted. This represented a reduction of 21.52 percent in the uptake
- The third base period has seen 176 individuals registered and accepted. This represents a further decline from the previous baseline
- The fourth base period has seen 91 individuals registered and accepted
- Fifth base period currently has 1 individual registered and accepted (updated 14 November 2019)
Permissions granted for self-build and custom build
For monitoring purposes, we will only count plots:
- With planning permission that have self and custom build in their description, and
- Single plots that meet the legal definition set out by the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015
The formula is as follows:
[Number of planning permissions for serviced plots suitable for self and custom build granted during a base period = (Number of planning permissions that have self and custom build in their description + Number of single plots that meet the legal definition set out by the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015)].
Total number of permissions granted for base periods 1, 2 and 3 = 679
This methodology is included in the self-build custom housebuilding monitoring - guidance note (pdf).
Tell us about sites suitable for self or custom build housing
If you would like to suggest a site, please contact the planning policy team for information and advice.