Archaeology advice for developers
We provide development advice about the conservation, care and management of the county's archaeology and historic landscapes. Please consult us at an early stage when planning any works to an historic environment, if you are:
- Applying for planning permission
- Engaged in new agricultural or forestry operations
- Providing new services, such as water resources or energy supply
- Advise on the impacts of intended works and how to minimise them
- Prepare briefs for archaeological recording projects
- Monitor the conduct of those projects
- Provide advice on employing an accredited archaeological organisation to carry out the work
If you are required through the planning system to carry out an archaeological project for a development you are involved with you should contact our archaeological advisor to discuss the likely details and implications.
Projects might include early-stage archaeological evaluations and surveys, or programmes of archaeological work under planning condition.
You will usually need to employ and pay an appropriately expert accredited organisation to undertake the project on your behalf. We can provide guidance on how to do this.
Hereford City Area of Archaeological Importance (AAI)
We are also the administrator and investigating authority for the Hereford City Area of Archaeological Importance (AAI). For all below-ground works within this area you will need a notification and certificate.
Make an enquiry or apply for a licence
For further information on archaeology and development, please visit the Herefordshire Through Time website contractor's page.
If you wish to make an enquiry or request a licence, please read the guidance information below before completing the relevant form.
- Herefordshire Historic Environment Record guidance and data requests
- Herefordshire HER data enquiry form
- Herefordshire HER licence request form
You can also contact the archaeological advisor for help or advice:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 01432 383 350
Please note: we are not able to provide financial support for any archaeological fieldwork.