A young carer is someone aged 18 or under who helps look after a relative who is ill or has a disability, a mental health problem or a drug and/or alcohol problem. Young carers often take responsibility for things normally undertaken by an adult and may do extra jobs in and around the home such as cooking, cleaning, or helping someone to get dressed and move around.
If you think you are a young carer, talk to someone at your school or college. They will help you make sure you get the support you need to manage your school work and can put you in touch with other organisations that can help you in your supporting role.
How we can help - young carer's assessment
Our young carer service considers the whole family when making an assessment of your needs. By looking at the complete picture we can get a clearer idea of your needs and aspirations so that we can enable you to overcome any barriers you may face. Some of the ways we may be able to help include signposting you to support organisations, support with school or college, information, guidance and advice, support for the family, help with keeping yourself and your family safe, emotional support and befriending.
Make an enquiry or referral
Get in touch with Donna Smith or Jake Fosterjohn, our early help support workers. They will talk you through the process and make the arrangements to contact your family and set up a home visit and assessment.
- Contact Donna Smith - Phone: 01432 383074, or mobile: 07792 881 722 or email: Donna.Smith@herefordshire.gov.uk
- Contact Jake Fosterjohn - Phone: 01432 383385 or mobile: 07792 881 804 or email: email@example.com
Sometimes the families that young carers support need additional help. Your school or college can help refer you to the family support team.
Some of the organisations we work with are:
- Herefordshire Carers Support (young carers) - offers practical support and advice to all carers in the county, including for young carers, young adult carers and their families
- Hope Support Service
- St Michael's Hospice
- WISH - wellbeing information and signposting for Herefordshire. WISH has information to support you in your caring role, together with a directory of activities, events and groups where you live.
- No wrong door - advice and information for young people
- Carers UK is the national organisation there to listen, to give you expert information and advice that's tailored to your situation.
- Carers Trust - a major charity for, with and about carers.