How savings, investments and property affect your benefits

The amount of Housing Benefit you get depends on your circumstances. Housing Benefit is to help you pay your rent if you have a low income. The amount of help you get depends partly on how much income and savings you have. This is why we ask you so many detailed questions about your income and savings. It's also why we ask you to provide evidence of what you tell us about your income and savings.

We need to know about any savings, investments or property owned by you and your partner if you have one. We usually call them all 'capital'.

Capital includes:

  • Cash savings
  • Savings in banks, building societies or the Post Office
  • Money in current accounts
  • Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs)
  • Tax Exempt Special Savings Accounts (TESSAs)
  • Tessa only ISAs (TOISAs)
  • Premium bonds and income bonds
  • National Savings Certificates
  • Stocks, shares, unit trust holdings, Government securities and bonds
  • Lump sums such as redundancy payments, insurance payments and back payments of Social Security benefits
  • Tax refunds
  • Money invested in a business and business assets
  • Property, such as a house you own but don't live in
  • Land
  • Money held in trust
  • Money you have borrowed

Your Housing Benefit will probably be affected if you have any of these. This is not a full list. You must tell us on the claim form about any capital you have. You will also have to give us evidence of your capital.