Current casual vacancies on parish councils

The table below lists all current casual vacancies on parish councils. You can download the notice of vacancy by selecting the link.

Parish/ward Council Last date to request an election Notice of vacancy pdf
Mordiford Dormington and Mordiford Group Parish Council 20 May 2021 Dormington and Mordiford Notice of vacancy
Weston-under-Penyard Weston-under-Penyard Parish Council 20 May 2021 Weston-under-Penyard Notice of vacancy

About casual vacancies

The following explains the rules that apply to town and parish council vacancies, not district council vacancies. The town and parish areas are referred to as parishes.

Why casual vacancies arise

There are usually three ways in which a vacancy arises. This is when the councillor either:

  • Resigns
  • Dies, or
  • Does not attend a parish council meeting for six months

It is also possible but less common for a vacancy to arise when a councillor decides not to accept their appointment, ceases to be qualified or is disqualified.

How a vacancy is advertised

Notices of vacancies are posted on the parish website and notice boards. They are also added to this web page and placed on our notice boards at Hereford Town Hall.

The date an election is held after a seat is declared vacant

An election is only held if 10 people who are registered as local government electors in the relevant parish (or parish ward if applicable) ask for an election to be held.

If there are fewer than 10 electors or no one asks for an election then the council must co-opt a new member as soon as practicable.

However, if the vacancy is in the six months before regular scheduled local government elections there will not be a separate election and the election for the vacancy is combined with the scheduled election. The council may co-opt someone to fill the seat for the months before the scheduled elections.

How a parish council co-opts a member

There is no set way that a parish council must choose a new member but it is advisable for it to advertise for, interview and then vote a new member on to the council. Whatever the parish council does, it must use an open and transparent process.

How to request an election

To request an election you must contact the electoral services office within 14 working days of the date of the notice of vacancy. Requests can either be in the same document or can come separately. For convenience, electors can use the request form attached to the casual vacancy notice in the table.

Written requests should be sent to Electoral Services, Town Hall, St Owen Street, Hereford, HR1 2PJ or email

You must include the full name and address of the elector making the request so that their registration can be checked. All requests are open to inspection by the public.

Only those people who are registered as local government electors within the relevant electoral area can request an election.

We will then notify the parish clerk of the election date and the process will begin when the notice of election is published.

For more information see the forthcoming elections page.

Co-option paperwork

There are three different versions of the declaration of interest form because different councils are signed up to different codes of conduct.

Decision Details (Temporary Appointment of Members) Order 2017