- Information held about you
To provide library services to you, it is necessary for us to collect and hold personal information about you in various formats, including electronic and paper format. This information will include basic details such as:
- Name, address, telephone number, email address and date of birth
- Records of items you have borrowed and any charges incurred
- Home delivery visits.
We do not view or retain any credit or debit card information you may share with a third-party payment provider.
- Who is processing your data
All personal data held, is processed in accordance with data protection law. The data controller for the information outlined in this privacy notice is Herefordshire Council.
- How we will use the information we hold about you
We will collect information about you (where applicable) to:
- Set up your library account so you can use the library services
- Assign you an appropriate borrower type, for example child, adult, teenage, access
- Send you information relating to your account, for example notifications about requested or overdue items
- Send you information about library services or events, for example information on annual reading promotions
- How the law allows us to use your information
The legal basis for processing the data is:
- Our legal obligations under The Public Libraries and Museums Act 1964
- For sending you information about library events - your consent to do so, which you can withdraw at any time by notifying us. Our contact details to do so, or for any other queries, are Herefordshire Libraries, Merchant House. Burcott Road, Hereford HR4 9LW. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Who we will share your information with
We may share your information with partner organisations, including our library management system suppliers, but this will only be in the context of administering the library systems.
We will not normally share your information with organisations other than our partner organisations without your consent. However, there may be certain circumstances where we would share without consent, such as where we are required to do so by law, to safeguard public safety, and in risk of harm or emergency situations. We will only share the minimum information for the purpose, on a need to know basis and with appropriate individuals.
- How long we keep your personal information
We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary, as outlined in our record retention schedules. All information will be held securely and destroyed under confidential conditions.
- Your rights
You have a number of rights under data protection law, including the right to request your information and to request that the information is amended or erased if incorrect.
To request your records, you will need to provide proof of identification and write to the Information Governance Team, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE or email email@example.com
You also have the right to make a complaint about our handling of your personal data to the Information Commissioner's Office.
- Providing accurate information
- It is important that we hold accurate and up to date information about you to assess your needs and deliver the appropriate services. If any of your details have changed, or change in the future, please tell us so that we can update your records.
- Further information
If you have any questions or concerns about how your information is used, please contact Herefordshire Libraries in the first instance: Merchant House. Burcott Road, Hereford HR4 9LW. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also contact the Data Protection Officer, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE, email email@example.com
You can find more information about data protection and how it applies to you on the Information Commissioner's Office website.
- Service web page