- Temporary Event Notice
You should apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if you want to carry out 'licensable activity' on unlicensed premises.
Licensable activity includes:
- The retail sale of alcohol (at any time)
- The provision of regulated entertainment (at any time) or
- The provision of hot food or hot drink (between 11pm and 5am)
You must apply no later than 12 working days before the event.
If the premises where the event is held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities, you must apply to each.
Please refer to Schedules 1 and 2 to the Licensing Act 2003 for fuller details of the definitions and exemptions relating to regulated entertainment and late night refreshment. Regulated entertainment, subject to specified conditions and exemptions, includes:
- a) A performance of a play
- b) An exhibition of a film
- c) An indoor sporting event
- d) A boxing or wrestling entertainment
- e) A performance of live music
- f) Any playing of recorded music
- g) A performance of dance
- h) Entertainment of a similar description to that falling within (e), (f) or (g)
Standard Temporary Event Notice
This notice is one which is received by us at least 10 working days (this authority requests you submit it at least 12 working days) before the event. Working days does not include the day of the event, the day the notice is given or weekends or public holidays.
Late Temporary Event Notice
This notice is one which is received by us no earlier than nine working days before the event and no less than five working days before the event. Working days does not include the day of the event, the day the notice is given or weekends or public holidays.
Your event must:
- Have fewer than 500 people at all times - including staff running the event
- Last no more than 168 hours (7 days)
- About this licence
A fee of £21 for each event must accompany the notice when you submit it. Cheques should be made payable to Herefordshire Council.
If you are unable to pay via cheque please call 01432 261761 to make payment over the phone with a credit or debit card. At the time of payment please quote the applicant name, event date and premises name.
Online applications via GOV.UK require an online payment to be made either by credit or debit card at the time of submission.
If your Temporary Event Notice is lost or stolen a replacement is £10.50.
- Application and guidance notes
We now offer a pre-application service which can be tailored to meet your needs and is for applicants applying for any type of licence under the Licensing Act. We offer three levels of service - application advice, application assistance, and a check and send service or any combination of these. Find out more about this service.
We are unable to accept any applications submitted via email.
Please send all completed postal applications to the Licensing Department, Herefordshire Council, 8 St Owen Street, Hereford HR1 2PJ.
If you apply by post you must also send a copy of the application to the Police and to Environmental Protection at the following addresses:
- Police Licensing, Hereford Police Station, West Mercia Police, Bath Street, Hereford HR1 2HT
- Environmental Protection, Herefordshire Council, 8 St Owen Street, Hereford HR1 2PJ
We will only send notices on behalf of the applicant to responsible authorities if submitted via GOV.UK.
If you are thinking of holding an event in Herefordshire, please notify the Safety Advisory Group (SAG).
- Processing and timescales
We will acknowledge acceptance of the notice via email, along with a letter and a copy of the endorsed application. We will only post letters if we are specifically asked to.
- Validity and renewals
The maximum number of events per place within a calendar year is 15 OR 21days whichever comes first. In calculating the number of days, any event that goes over midnight is classed as two days).
- Contact us in the first instance.
- Contact details
If you wish to speak to a licensing officer the opening times are 9.30am to 1.30pm.
- Telephone: 01432 261761 (all calls are dealt with by our contact centre staff and are allocated to an officer who will take action on the service request between one to five working days)
- Fax: 01432 261982
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Licensing Section, Herefordshire Council, 8 St Owen Street, Hereford HR1 2PJ