- Information held about you
The Herefordshire Language Network (HLN) provides a translation and interpreting service across Herefordshire and beyond. We primarily provide services to public sector organisations, but our customers also include voluntary and private sector organisations.
In order to deliver this service, we need to collect personal data from the following groups of people:
- Interpreters and translators - We hold details such as address, telephone number, email address, bank information (if you have carried out work for us), and holiday dates (where you provide them). Our records will hold your invoices and show what work you have carried out for HLN. We may ask for information about your education or qualifications, and whether you have any access requirements
- Non-English speaking clients - We may have access to clients' home address and telephone number, names of their children and the school they attend, language spoken, etc. Our records will hold details of the appointments for which interpreters have been booked, for example medical appointments. Where written translation is requested by a service provider (for example a social worker), we will have access to the content of those documents
- Service providers - We hold details such as your place of work, mobile number, email address. Our records will show what language service requests you have made in the past
- Who is processing your data
All personal data held is processed in accordance with data protection law. The data controller for the information outlined in this privacy notice is Herefordshire Council.
- How we will use the information we hold about you
We will collect information about you (where applicable):
Interpreters and translators:
- To be able to commission work from you, and to pay you
- To text client names to you
- To assess your suitability for particular assignments
Non-English speaking clients:
- To telephone you to book appointments, if requested by the service provider
- To provide a suitable interpreter to help you communicate with service providers
- To translate information for you, when requested by the service provider
- To contact you to confirm or discuss interpreter bookings
- To send completed translations to you, as necessary
- How the law allows us to use your information
The legal basis for processing the data is carrying out of a contract to which you are a party.
- Who we will share your information with
We may share your information with partner organisations, including:
- Interpreters - We may share your phone number or email address with service providers on the basis that they use this information only for the purpose and duration of carrying out specific interpreting assignments (for example by phone or video). We will ask for your consent before doing this (we will ask only once, before the first occasion, after which consent is implied)
- Non-English speaking clients - We may occasionally share information about you with Herefordshire Council service areas and Wye Valley NHS Trust. This might include updated address or telephone number. We may also advise one party if an interpreter booking will clash with another one of your appointments
We will not normally share your information with organisations other than our partner organisations without your consent. However, there may be certain circumstances where we would share without consent such as where we are required to do so by law, to safeguard public safety, and in risk of harm or emergency situations. We will only share the minimum information for the purpose, on a need to know basis and with appropriate individuals.
- How long we keep your personal information
We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary. The information outlined in this privacy notice will be kept for seven years. All information will be held securely and destroyed under confidential conditions.
- Your rights
You have a number of rights under data protection law, including the right to request your information and to request that the information is amended or erased if incorrect.
To request your records, you will need to provide proof of identification and write to the Information Governance Team, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You also have a right to make a complaint about our handling of your personal data to the Information Commissioner's Office.
- Providing accurate information
- Interpreters and translators - It is important that we hold accurate and up-to-date information about you in order to contact you to commission work, and to pay you. If any of your details have changed, or change in the future, please ensure that you tell us as soon as possible so that we can update your records.
- Further information
If you have any questions or concerns about how your information is used, please contact the Equality Team at email@example.com in the first instance. You can also contact the Data Protection Officer at Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE, email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can find more information about data protection and how it applies to you on the Information Commissioner's Office website.
- Service web page
- Last updated date
- October 2020