Hedgehogs are an iconic species in the UK whose numbers are in decline. Since 2020, they have been listed as a species 'vulnerable' to extinction on the first red list of British mammals published by the Mammal Society. Their population decline is attributed to many different causes, making it difficult to address.
What we are doing to help hedgehogs
We are supporting hedgehogs to help boost their numbers, as part of a wider scheme to provide biodiversity enhancement within the county.
We've provided 100 hedgehog habitats to primary schools, community and child centres. These homes are made from recycled materials. They provide hedgehogs with a safe space to hibernate and raise young, as well as an escape from predators, helping to increase their numbers. There's also a set of illustrated educational hedgehog activities to support learning about how hedgehogs live and how to encourage them to use this new home.
Things you can do to help
Avoid removing hedgerows, and if you can, plant more hedgerows. Habitat fragmentation is one of the biggest reasons for population decline of many species. Retaining hedgerows and planting more not only helps hedgehogs but a variety of other species. (After all it’s all in their name ‘Hedge… Hogs!’)
- Hedgehog highways
Make it easier for hedgehogs to travel about their area. All it takes is a small 13 cm by 13 cm hole cut in fences, which allows hedgehogs to safely move through gardens, helping them connect with other hedgehogs and wildlife.
Create a hedgehog friendly habitat or provide a home for hedgehogs in your garden.
Print out and complete our activities. Learn new skills and gain more information about hedgehogs and how you can help them.
Our set of illustrated educational hedgehog activities is suitable for ages 3-12+. The activities can be used in schools or at home to find out more about hedgehogs and ways to build and maintain a habitat which will encourage and protect them.
There are more than 25 activities across a range of subjects. Choose the ones that interest you and download them below.
- Spike The Messy Hedgehog - hedgehog mask/headband.
- Spike's Missing Spikes - create your own spikes and threading game.
- Hedgehog Story - story cards and writing template.
- Hedgehog Tracing Cards - four pages filled with writing and pre-writing exercises.
- Spike's Maths Activities - a maths set with four different maths activities to help count from 1 to 10.
- Obstacle game - indoor or outdoor activity that can be used to help children think about where to best place a hedgehog home.
- Get to Know Spike - the hedgehog lifecycle and hedgehog body parts, labelling alongside writing activities.
- Spike's New Home - instructions for how to take care of your hedgehog box.
- Spike Mindfulness - a set of cards with breathing and yoga exercises.
- Get Spike home - a board game that teaches about dangers hedgehogs encounter.
- Matching Spike Game - a memory matching game.
- Spike Puzzle - a set of puzzles you can cut out and put together.
- Find Spike and Spot the Differences - two games
- Shortbread Cookies - a recipe you can make at home.
- Spike Sign - a sign that can be printed or one you can make yourself.
- Cutting Practice - a set of cutting exercises.
Spread the word
Don’t forget to take a picture and tag us on Facebook/Twitter/Inst on @hfdscouncil and use #SpikeTheHedgehog.