What is care and support?

Care and support, also known as social care services or adult social care, is the term used to describe the help some adults need to live as well as possible with illness, disability or frailty. Social care services can take many forms - it can include help while you live at home, out and about in the community, or in a new place of residence such as a care home. Many of us will need care and support at some point in our lives and most people will pay at least something towards the cost of their care.

Finding help at home

If you wish to look for services to provide help at home, or aids to help with living independently, but do not wish to be assessed by the council, you can find a full range of services to help with independent living in the Talk Community Directory equipment, adaptations and technology section. You can also use the Talk Community Directory to find home help and care services if you have a personal budget for your care from the council.

Care and support from the council

If you are looking for help from the council with your care and support needs we will need to complete a social care assessment to establish your needs and to help identify what type of support would be most suitable to assist you. This care assessment also determines if you are eligible to receive practical and financial assistance from the council. The assessment is free.

Even if you think you might not be eligible for social care support, you and the person who supports you (your carer) are entitled to seek advice and to have a social care assessment and/or a carers assessment to find out what other support may be available to you both.

Herefordshire Council will support you to arrange your care where you have been assessed as having eligible needs. Any decisions about your care and support will consider your wellbeing and what is important to you and your family, so you can stay healthy and remain independent for longer. Some of the services you receive will be free of charge, while others will have charges. Where there are charges, what you have to pay will depend on your eligibility and financial circumstances. The council will undertake a financial assessment with you, or your financial representative, to work out how much you should pay.

Help with making decisions about your care

If you do not feel confident or able to make decisions about your care and support, there is help available. There is more information in the Talk Community Directory money and legal matters section. The Talk Community Directory provides information and signposting to help support anyone with care and wellbeing needs in Herefordshire.

Adult social care contact details

The advice and referral team is your first point of contact for help and support in accessing adult social care and to arrange care and carer assessments and financial assessments.

Telephone: 01432 260101

Send Email