Support for children with SEND in educational settings

If you think your child may have a difficulty that has not been identified, you should talk to the teacher, the special educational needs coordinator (SENCO), or the headteacher straight away. Information about special educational needs and disabilities is available on our Local Offer.

Schools, colleges and other settings can help most children and young people to overcome the barriers that their difficulties present, quickly and easily. Schools, colleges, playgroups and nurseries will have their own provision for children with special educational needs, listed on their website.

If your child hasn’t started school yet, you can find out more about the support available on the Talk Community Directory Early Years Support page.

SENDIASS have produced this helpful video that explains the graduated response. It is used by mainstream settings to work with families and children to identify how best to meet each child's support needs:

Education, health and care plans

Some children and young people need more specialist help and support and may require an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) in order to access a mainstream setting.

For a small number of children a mainstream setting might not be the most appropriate placement to meet their special educational needs, and a more specialist placement will be required.

Find out how to request an Education, Health and Care needs assessment.

You can find comprehensive information about special educational needs on the government website.

You can also find information on what help is available if you care for a disabled child on the government website.