Recycle Now have produced a wide range of teaching resources and lesson plans for Key stage 1 and Key stage 2 pupils.
What the teaching resources cover
The aim of the resources is to help pupils understand:
- The waste hierarchy and the three Rs (reduce, reuse, and recycle). Recycling as much as possible is fantastic, but is always better to reduce the waste we produce wherever possible. The waste hierarchy ranks waste management options according to what is best for the environment. Find out more about the waste hierarchy.
- Recycling – Why is it important and what can be recycled
- The need to be an environmental champion and tell others about why it’s good to reduce waste and recycle
Make the materials relevant
To customise the resources to reflect the rubbish and recycling collection service in Herefordshire, please remember the following:
- As standard, residents are provided with a black bin for all non-recyclable waste and a green bin for their recycling.
- You can find out about what your pupils can recycle at home on our recycling page.
- Herefordshire’s recycling is processed at a facility called EnviroSort. See how the recycling process works by watching a video of how our waste is processed by Envirosort and an animated version on Severn Waste's website.
- We do not currently have a food waste collection service, so talk to pupils about reducing food waste where relevant. Love Food Hate Waste is a great place to start for advice.
Arrange a visit to our recycling facility
If you are keen to learn more and see our recycling facility, then you can arrange to visit EnviroSort, free of charge. Transport cost can also be subsidised. For information on arranging a trip, visit our contractors Severn Waste Services education page.
If you’re unsure about any of the content on the waste education pages or would like further information please complete our contact us form.