Herefordshire’s museums and libraries have lots of free fun on offer this summer
There is plenty to keep the whole family entertained this summer in Herefordshire.
Hereford Museum and Art Gallery
- Creative Archaeology Fun Day - Wednesday 24 July (free drop in 11am – 2pm)
Get close to the Romans and try out some archaeology, dress in a toga, make a mosaic or build a fantastic Roman building.
- Get Crafty with Bees - Wednesday 7 August (free drop in 11am – 2pm)
Visit the museum bees, make a beeline for our trail and quiz and enjoy bee-themed craft.
- Master and Student exhibition - until 24 August
For more than 60 years Sarah van Niekerk took inspiration for her prints from the world around her. She introduced her former student, Harry Brockway, to wood engraving and showed him the versatility of the medium. Harry takes much of his inspiration from the world of literature, and together they illustrate the range of this expressive and most English of art forms.
Follow @herefordmuseums on Facebook
Black and White House Museum
To celebrate 90 years as a public museum, ignite CiC will deliver a weekend of free crafting inspired by the Black and White House, suitable for children and adults:
Friday 26 July (drop in 10.30am – 3.30pm)
- Boho Banners – Create bunting inspired by the bustling merchant shops of the Black and White House’s early life. Decorative beads, shells, fabric and feathers will be used to create artwork for display on the railings outside the museum
- Mini Model Making - Make a mini 17th Century Black and White model building in the colourful style of 1920’s artist, Mondrian, to help celebrate 90 years of the museum
- CoolMoves (11.30am – 12.15pm) - 1920s dance in full period costume
Saturday 27 July (drop in 10.30am – 3.30pm)
- Collage Characters – Dry printing techniques will be used to produce character designs. Hessian bunting will also be worked alongside the individual creations to decorate the Black and White House
- Beaded Bunting - Inspired by the styles of the 1920’s, create fantastic beaded bunting for display at the Black and White House Museum
- CoolMoves (1.15pm - 2pm) - 1920s dance in full period costume
There are more hands-on activities for children over the school holidays, with period fancy dress, puzzles and a ‘Find the Rat’ trail to complete. The TripAdvisor® Certificate of Excellence rated museum will also display a summer exhibition showcasing artwork inspired by the house, produced by Herefordshire Art and Craft Society (HACS).
Follow @blackandwhitehousehereford on Facebook
The Space Chase Summer Reading Challenge 2019, presented by The Reading Agency and Herefordshire Libraries, is an out-of-this-world adventure which encourages children up to the age of 12 to read six library books over the school summer holidays.
While visiting the library, children can take part in the ‘Design a Space Alien’ art competition. A bumper pack of art materials is up for grabs, with paper and drawing materials available at each library. Children can also take part in the Space Chase treasure hunt where they can explore the library to find the hidden aliens. Successful hunters can enter a prize draw to win a giant craft box.
We have extra Space Chase activities on offer across our market town libraries:
- Pop-up planetarium – Saturday 10 August (£1.50 children / £2 adults)
Ross-on-Wye and Ledbury Library will host a pop-up planetarium on Saturday 10 August to entertain your aspiring astronaut.
- Make a space alien craft activity (free drop in)
Kington Library Thursday 26 July / Ross Library Saturday 17 August / Leominster Library Tuesday 20 August / Ledbury Library Saturday 24 August
- Space Chase story time (free drop in)
Leominster Library Tuesday 20 August / Kington Library Thursday 22 August
Information about the Summer Reading Challenge and events can be found at www.herefordshire.gov.uk/src
Follow @hfdslibraries on Facebook
Published: Friday, 19th July 2019