Kids go free this summer to celebrate 90 years as a public museum
The Black and White House Museum is celebrating 90 years of life as a public museum, and kids go free this summer when accompanied by an adult.
The magnificent half-timbered building proudly stands in the heart of Hereford City. Built in 1621, the building started life as a butcher’s home and finished its commercial life in the hands of Lloyds Bank. Since 1929, the Black and White House has been a fascinating museum giving an insight into daily life in Jacobean times, furnished in period style.
To celebrate 90 years as a public museum, ignite CiC will deliver a weekend of free crafting inspired by the Black and White House, suitable for children and adults:
Friday 26 July (drop in 10.30am – 3.30pm)
- Boho Banners – Create bunting inspired by the bustling merchant shops of the Black and White House’s early life. Decorative beads, shells, fabric and feathers will be used to create artwork for display on the railings outside the museum
- Mini Model Making - Make a mini 17th Century Black and White model building in the colourful style of 1920’s artist, Mondrian, to help celebrate 90 years of the museum
- CoolMoves (11.30am – 12.15pm) - 1920s dance in full period costume
Saturday 27 July (drop in 10.30am – 3.30pm)
- Collage Characters – Dry printing techniques will be used to produce character designs. Hessian bunting will also be worked alongside the individual creations to decorate the Black and White House
- Beaded Bunting - Inspired by the styles of the 1920’s, create fantastic beaded bunting for display at the Black and White House Museum
- CoolMoves (1.15pm - 2pm) - 1920s dance in full period costume
There are more hands-on activities for children over the school holidays, with period fancy dress, puzzles and a ‘Find the Rat’ trail to complete. The TripAdvisor® Certificate of Excellence rated museum will also display a summer exhibition showcasing artwork inspired by the house, produced by Herefordshire Art and Craft Society (HACS).
Follow the Black and White House Museum on Facebook @blackandwhitehousehereford
Summer 2019 opening times (22 July – 1 September 2019)
- Monday – Saturday: 10am to 4pm
- Sunday: 11.30am to 2.30pm
Summer admission charges: children 16 and under free (when accompanied by an adult) / adults £2.50
Published: Wednesday, 17th July 2019