Landlords of Houses in Multiple Occupation must be licensed from October 2018

From 1 October 2018, any landlord who lets a property to five or more people (from two or more separate households) who share either bathroom or cooking facilities must be licensed by Herefordshire Council as a ‘House in Multiple Occupation’ (HMO).

This change in the licensing of rented houses is designed to protect tenants from poor living conditions by bringing these types of properties under the regulation of local authorities. New rules will also come into force setting the minimum size requirements for bedrooms in HMOs to prevent overcrowding, meaning the council can protect tenants from the small minority of landlords who persist in renting out sub-standard and overcrowded homes.

Any landlord of an HMO that requires a licence can contact the council’s Environmental Health Housing Team for an application form, obtain guidance on the HMO licensing process or to clarify whether or not their property falls within the new licensing criteria. Failure to licence a House in Multiple Occupation is an offence under the Housing Act 2004.

Herefordshire Council’s Environmental Health Housing Team is now accepting HMO licence applications which are available by calling 01432 261761 or by emailing  

There is more information about HMO licensing available on the Herefordshire Council website

Published: 22nd August 2018