Council to provide financial support to vulnerable residents

Pensioners on low incomes will soon get some financial support to help them manage their bills during the cost of living crisis.

When the department for work and pensions (DWP) allocated Herefordshire Council with £1.3 million in funding, it stipulated at least one-third of the money must be used to help pensioners. The council is now asking those who receive pension credit guarantee to look out for a letter being sent out soon stating they will be given £170 to help them pay their essential bills.

It’s not just pensioners who are struggling: other residents are also advised to visit Talk Community’s Money on your Mind (MOYM) webpages, run by Herefordshire Council. The site has all sorts of useful advice and tips on how to manage your money and where to go for further support.

The MOYM webpages also provide information about local organisations that may be able to help with food and energy bills as well as other essential household items. A number of these organisations have been funded through government’s Household Support Fund (HSF). Some take direct applications, others take referrals from local support agencies, such as social workers, housing associations and Citizens Advice Herefordshire.     

Councillor Pauline Crockett, cabinet member for health and adult wellbeing, says:

“Unfortunately, the already-high cost of many essential goods and services, including fuel, is set to increase further in the autumn. I’m very pleased we’re able to provide some help and support to very vulnerable groups during this difficult time. I strongly advise everyone who is finding it difficult to pay their bills to visit the MOYM webpages to learn what help is available to them.”

There is more information about the Household Support Fund on our webpages, and how we are helping to support low-income households with food and fuel poverty, and other essential household bills.

Published: 11th August 2022