Government is further easing COVID-19 restrictions from today
Lockdown restrictions in England will further ease today (Monday 17 May 2021) as six people (or two households) can now meet indoors.
Indoor hospitality and entertainment can reopen, including museums, cinemas and children’s soft play. Hereford Museum and Art Gallery and the Black and White House Museum will reopen from Tuesday 18 May at 10am. The council’s libraries in Hereford, Leominster, Ledbury and Ross-on-Wye will extend their opening hours for browsing and longer public computer sessions will be available at these sites.
Other significant changes which come into effect today are:
- Indoor adult group sports and exercise classes can resume.
- All holiday accommodation will be open to be used by groups of up to six or two households.
- Outdoor gatherings of up to 30 people will be permitted.
- Performances and sporting events in indoor and outdoor venues can resume with capacity limits.
- Up to 30 people can attend significant life events such as weddings and christenings.
- The legal limit on the number of mourners at funerals will be lifted, and venues will set limits based on individual capacity.
Dr Rebecca Howell-Jones, Herefordshire’s Acting Director of Public Health, said:
“Many of us are excited and relieved that we can now see our friends and families indoors and hug them for the first time in a year, but it is important to remember we are not out of the woods yet. Close contact, such as hugging, increases the risk of spreading COVID-19 but there are steps you can take to reduce that risk.
“You can play your part in reducing the risk of spreading COVID-19 by limiting the number of people you have close contact with to a small number of your closest family or friends, and meeting outside where possible. If you do meet indoors keep the room well ventilated by opening a window. Take the vaccine when it is offered to you. Wash your hands and clean surfaces regularly and, importantly, get tested twice a week even if you don’t have symptoms. Around 1 in 3 people with coronavirus do not show symptoms, so can spread the virus to others without knowing.”
Further information on how to order or collect a COVID-19 home test kit is on the council website www.herefordshire.gov.uk/hometest