Health equipment and living aids for children and young people
There are lots of gadgets and technologies available on the market to help you or a child or young person you care for to live a more independent life at home. There are also aids to assist you when you are providing care for a child or young person with a disability. For example, aids to help with bathing and other daily tasks and medication dispensers, tracking devices and other gadgets to help keep children and young people safe as they move towards greater independence. Many of these are available on the high street.
We provide equipment and living aids to some children and adults through the Integrated Community Equipment Store, to help people live safe, healthy and independent lives. NRS Healthcare delivers this service for Herefordshire Council. For an assessment on equipment you may be eligible to receive, please:
- Email: ASCAdviceandReferralTeam@herefordshire.gcsx.gov.uk or
- Telephone: 01432 260101
Please return any equipment you no longer need:
- Return the item directly to the store: Unit 3a, Thorn Business Park, Rotherwas, Hereford, HR2 6JT
- Email NRS on email@example.com to arrange collection
- Call NRS on 0300 100 0045 to arrange collection
The Disabled Living Foundation has an excellent Ask Sara website that takes you through an assessment and makes recommendations about the type of equipment you could purchase to help.
Telecare is a lifeline alarm that triggers an alert if activated by a type of sensor. It can give confidence and greater independence for young people living at home or moving to independent living who have learning disabilities, are frail, have limited mobility, are at risk of falling, have sensory impairment, or who are disabled. It gives you confidence and provides your carers with assurance that you can be safe.
If you are eligible for adult social care, the council will provide this for you. Our advice and referral team will be able to advise you on whether you are eligible for an assessment, please call: 01432 260101
If you are not eligible, you can still enjoy the benefits of this service. Contact Herefordshire Careline for more information on 0300 777 4321
Recommended web sites where you can find details of equipment
- Disability Equipment Service Herefordshire Find second-hand disability equipment being sold by individuals in the Herefordshire area who no longer require the equipment. The site is run and maintained by Herefordshire Carers Support.
- NRS Healthcare - Children's bathing equipment
- Tunstall - telecare equipment
- Possum - telecare equipment
- Easylink - standalone/carer equipment
- Lifemax - standalone/carer equipment
- Canary - lifestyle monitoring
- Living Made Easy and Living made Easy for Children - specialist advice and daily living equipment
- RNIB sight impairment - including assistive technology
- Action on Hearing Loss - hearing impairment including assistive technology