Herefordshire children with disabilities
If you are concerned about any aspect of your child’s development it is important to speak to someone as soon as possible – parents are usually the first to notice any difficulties. It’s really important to pick up any difficulties as early as possible. Research shows that extra help in the early years, for children who need it, can make a big difference, allowing them to make progress and have a better start in life. You could speak to your doctor, health visitor, or if your child attends childcare, you could speak to their key person.
You can add your child's name to the Herefordshire children with disabilities register. We have a duty to hold a register of disabled children and young people, in accordance with The Children Act 1989. By registering your child on the Herefordshire children with disabilities register, you can also help us identify and plan for the needs of the county’s children and young people with disabilities, and their parents and carers. Registration is voluntary and is not linked to, or a requirement of, receiving social care services, which are assessed separately. To be registered, your child must be under 18 years of age and have a physical or learning disability which is likely to have a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out usual day-to-day activities.
We will use the information to:
- Ask children, parents and carers to help us plan the development of services for disabled children and young people (for example, it will help us to develop appropriate services to meet an individual’s assessed needs, in the places where they are most needed)
- Consult children, parents and carers on plans for new services or service changes
- Keep children, parents and carers informed of new or amended services as they become available
Privacy of information
From time to time, general information on the number of disabled children and young people and the area where they live may be published. No information that could be used to identify you or your child will ever be made public. Information held on the register will be treated as strictly confidential
Information held on the register will include:
- Child or young person’s name
- Date of birth
- Home address
- Contact details
- Names of parents / guardians / carers
- Information in relation to the child’s disability and services accessed
If you have any questions, please email DisabilityRegister@herefordshire.gov.uk or call 01432 260642.
If you prefer you can print the form and email or post to: Children’s wellbeing directorate, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE