If you are concerned about any aspect of your child's development it is really important to speak to someone as soon as possible - parents are usually the first to notice any difficulties. Research shows picking up these difficulties early and providing that extra help in the early years, for children who need it, can make a big difference, allowing them to make progress and have a better start in life. You could speak to your doctor, health visitor, or if your child attends childcare, you could speak to their key person.

If your child has started school and you do not feel that they are making the educational progress that they should be, you should talk to your child's class teacher or the school's special needs co-ordinator (SENCO).

There is a wide variety of educational services which your child's nursery, school or college can call upon, depending on need.