We want all children in Herefordshire to have a good start in life and to be safe. Children with special educational needs or a disability may need extra help and support to make the most of educational and learning opportunities. Our local offer sets out what support and help is available for your child or young person if they have special educational needs or a disability.

Definitions of SEN and disability

Special Educational Needs (SEN) is a legal term. It describes the needs of a child or young person who has a difficulty or disability which makes it harder for them to learn than the majority of others of the same age.

A disability is a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long term negative effect on a person's ability to do normal daily activities. Not all children and young people with a disability have SEN but there is often an overlap.

When children and young people have either or both SEN and disability it can affect their learning and education. You can read fuller definitions in the SEND Code of Practice 0-25 years.

Schools, colleges, early years and other settings can help most children and young people overcome the barriers their difficulties present, quickly and easily, but a few will need extra help for some or all of the time. You can find details of the provision which each educational or pre-school setting makes for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) on their websites in the schools directory.

If you think your child may have a difficulty which has not been identified, you should talk to the teacher, the special educational needs coordinator, or the headteacher, straight away. They will be able to establish what extra help may be available from existing school resources or whether a further assessment is needed.